Union District Training Chair: Alex Adkins
Current Information from our Training Chair:
- Please note the new "Request Training" feature under the training tab on the pull down menu to the left. Submitting contact information and a request will help the district training team schedule courses that are relevant and more convenient for you and your fellow volunteers.
· As part of our ongoing initiative to encourage fully trained leadership in every unit, we urge every Cubmaster and Committee Chair to recruit a Pack trainer for their unit. Pack Trainers help facilitate and track training within the unit and serve as a point of contact to the district for training issues. More information can be found here: http://old.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf
Pack trainers can use the Pack Trainer Award as framework for gauging progress in their unit: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/13-083.pdf . If you have questions regarding Pack Trainers or how to fill the position in your unit, please let me know.
· Notice from National Training that the requirements for basic leader training have been reduced and streamlined as of January 2012. Many Scouter positions only need two training courses to earn their "Trained" badge and be considered basically trained leaders. Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters only need 3 courses to be considered "Trained" (down from the previous 5 courses!) More details can be found here: http://scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/What_makes_a_trained_leader.pdf
· Online training is available for quite a few courses. However, outdoor skills courses will still be instructor led and involve an actual outdoor experience. Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, BALOO, and Scoutmaster Specifics will be organized at both the Council and District level. Please keep an eye on this page for updates in the near future.
· Every Scouter should have an online profile set up at http://myscouting.org which includes your BSA ID number in the profile. This will not only provide you with a record of your online training but also ensure that the training you take online is reported to the council. Instructor led training from the council should appear on that record as well.